Thoughts on Inauguration Day

I love Prairiewoods’ mission to be “a sacred space where people of all faiths and cultures are invited to explore and nurture their relationships with the Source of all being, Earth, self and others with an increasing awareness of the story of the Universe.” The story of the Universe. From our website: As theologian Elizabeth…

Blessing in a Time of Violence

This—as much as any other period in recent history—feels like a time of violence, a time of open hostility and conflict. The world seems dichotomous, as though half of our family and friends are in a completely different world than where we find ourselves. Because of that division, I’m called to the words of Jan…

A Kelson of the Creation is Love

“Justice in the life and conduct of the State is possible only as first it resides in the hearts and souls of the citizens.” —Plato   “To all people of good will who are working for social justice: never tire of working for a more just world, marked by greater solidarity!” —Pope Francis   When…

Happy New Year!

Our entire Prairiewoods staff celebrates with you as we turn a new year. In the depth of our hearts, we know this turning as so much more than a calendar page. This great turning of time acutely attunes our awareness to an ever-present, loving invitation to loosen our attachment to all we have associated with…

Finding the Light of Christmas

I’ll admit it—I love the over-the-top-ness of Christmas. I love finding—or even better, making—the perfect gifts for family, friends and coworkers. I enjoy watching cheesy holiday movies on the Hallmark channel as I wrap presents in shimmering paper, ribbons and homemade gift tags. I love seeing the light displays in my neighborhood as we take…

The Sign of the Babe

“And this will be a sign for you: you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.” —Luke 2:12, New American Bible The signs of the times are all around us. They offer a message that’s open to interpretation and they also call us to respond in some way. Sometimes it…