There Is No Table Long Enough

Among many haunting images regarding the incomprehensible, unconscionable situation in Ukraine are images of Vladimir Putin seated at the end of very long tables for meetings with individual Russian government ministers. The disturbing disconnection portrayed in these images stirred a meditation in my own prayer. I began to envision the myriad of people missing from…

The Particularity of Loss

This week the world passed the 6 million mark for recorded deaths from Covid. It is a staggering number, one that is difficult to wrap our heads around. Yet each loss is personal and has profound significance for those who knew and loved that person. One of those we lost in 2020 (though not to…

Prairiewoods Phased Pandemic Response

Prairiewoods Franciscan Spirituality Center has worked for decades within a global learning community to co-create the “more beautiful world our hearts know is possible.” The Covid-19 pandemic and the ongoing global environmental crisis unmask glaring inequalities that must give way to the common good. We mourn with all who have lost loved ones, with all who…

Send Love. It Matters.

In the early morning hours of Feb. 24, Russia invaded Ukraine, putting in danger Ukraine’s more than 44 million residents and our global sense of balance. In the days since, the fighting has been relentless. Hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have been displaced, while others are watching the fighting surround them in their homes. Right…

Thich Nhat Hanh

Millions of people around the world were saddened this week by the passing of Thich Nhat Hanh. The International Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism, which he founded in 1982, posted this message on their website: The International Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism announces that our beloved teacher Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away…

Collective Kindness

“When someone says to us, as Thich Nhat Hanh suggests, ‘Darling, I care about your suffering,’ a deep healing begins.” ―Tara Brach, Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha When my three-year-old son tested positive for Covid-19, I felt strongly that I couldn’t panic, or fret, or wring my hands. He’s a…

A Season to Welcome!

As we anticipate celebrating the Winter Solstice, reconnecting with family and friends, and simultaneously search for alternative gifts that address, educate, and impact economic, environmental and racial inequity, you might desire to support an initiative by Families Belong Together. In support of this initiative, we invite you to celebrate this season of giving by writing…

Kinship & Stories

“Can love, in its unaccountable weirdness, hope to overcome a culture of individualism built on denying all our millions of kinships and dependencies? That is our central drama now. It’s the future’s one inescapable story, and we are the characters who will steer that conflict to its denouement.” —Richard Powers, “A Little More than Kin”…

Commemorations

Tuesday thunder and lightning and our world is another place no day will ever be the same no blood Untouched they know this storm in otherwheres israel ireland palestine but God has blessed America we sing and God has blessed America to learn that no one is exempt the world is one all fear is…