Not Stealing, but Healing Home

On Christmas Eve in 1968, while the astronauts of Apollo 8 circumnavigated the moon, a momentous shift in perspective emerged unexpectedly for human-kind. In the midst of the space module’s scheduled “roll” to capture photos of the moon’s surface, Astronaut Bill Anders noticed a fantastic image arising over his shoulder. “Oh my God!” Anders exclaimed.…

“Communities of We”: Where Now?

The following is written by a perpetually novice wisdom seeker with early onset overly active mind syndrome, ever and always a student with several wonderful teachers and countless others. The importance of community seems to be especially relevant today. How is it defined and what has it meant, means and will it mean in our…

Then, Love the World

“What I loved in the beginning, I think, was mostly myself. Never mind that I had to, since somebody had to. That was many years ago. Since then I have gone out from my confinements, though with difficulty. I mean the ones that thought to rule my heart. I cast them out, I put them…

A Moment at a Time: Hope for a Nonviolent World 

Acknowledging that most if not all of us have experiences of deeply entrenched racism in our personal lives, in our family story, is a first, fierce step toward spiritually, practically and creatively practicing nonviolence. In attempting to embody nonviolence in her own life, Minnijean Brown-Tricky began by tracing her personal narrative of nonviolence and “the…

Memories from Past Garden Parties

Picture this: Last winter, my husband and I spent days decorating our house to look like a grand ballroom in the heart of New Orleans. We cooked a four-course dinner, complete with jambalaya, shrimp with remoulade sauce and beignets. We got in Mardi Gras costumes and donned our masks and beads. And then our eight…

Fielding a Dream for the Wider “We”

Many Iowans relish and quote the lines, “Is this heaven?” “No, it’s Iowa!” from the iconic movie Field of Dreams. The film is a baseball lover’s paradise in which an Iowa farmer hears a voice that inspires him to plow under his corn crop and build a baseball field. Who would do that? Despite the economic…