Magic Kitchen

It happens when I’m not looking: things appear—wrapped packages in the refrigerator or on the table surprises to open—plates of pumpkin bread bowls filled with miso couscous or mango pistachio rice, jars of hardboiled eggs as if elves or fairies had been at work while I slept or read or wrote poems, as if this…

Artist in Residence

We are pleased to welcome Carol Tyx, PhD, as Prairiewoods’ new Artist in Residence. Carol is a gifted poet and the author of two books of poetry, The Fifty Poems and Rising to the Rim. Her newest manuscript, Remembering Achilles: Slicing into Angola’s History, was just awarded the inaugural Willow Run Poetry Book Award. Carol…

Gratitude for All that has Brought Us Here

In this time of gratitude and generosity, kindness and kinship, we are reminded that we are all one. Nowhere have I felt that more keenly than at the Inter-Religious Council of Linn County’s Annual Thanksgiving Service: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks. Representatives from a huge variety of faith traditions contributed to the service, including…

Choosing Abundance over Scarcity

Arriving on the Prairiewoods grounds on a morning in late summer is like driving into an advertisement for abundance: everywhere we look, there is growth and beauty. Stop for a moment and hear bird song and frogs, the leaves and prairie grasses rustling in a soft breeze. Take a deep breath and smell the earthiness…

Sweetgrass Flute & Nature Festival

Come hear the voice of the land! The third annual Sweetgrass Flute & Nature Festival is coming to Prairiewoods Sept. 29–Oct. 1. This free, family-friendly festival includes live performances by internationally renowned musicians specializing in the music of Native American–style flutes and world flutes. Unlike any other event in the Midwest, Sweetgrass offers abundant opportunities…

Interning at Prairiewoods

My name is Taryn Freilinger. I am a student at Mount Mercy University and graduated in May with a Bachelor’s of Biology and a Bachelor’s of Outdoor Conservation. I am currently interning at Prairiewoods, helping create the Garden of Eat’n in order to fulfill requirements for my Outdoor Conservation degree. When I heard of this…